The Krazy Kat Club was a Bohemian cafe, speakeasy, and nightclub that operated at No. 3 Green Court in Washington, D.C., near Thomas Circle, during the early 1920's. The club was run by theatrical scenic designer Cleon "Throck" Throckmorton and its name was borrowed from the titular character of a comic strip that was popular at the time.
The entrance to the club was in an alleyway that led out to Massachusetts Avenue. During 1921, the entrance door was a small sign reading "The Krazy Kat," along with a chalk-written warning at the top of the door that read, "All soap abandon ye who enter here." The club included both an indoor and outdoor courtyard for dining and art exhibitions. In the outdoor courtyard there was a small tree-house, accessed by a ladder, where people could enjoy a nice meal and cocktail.
Despite prohibition, the club still served liquor to its customers, and was raided several times from 1918 to about 1925. In February of 1919, there was a recorded raid that occurred after a brawl took place and a gun was fired inside the club. Although no one was reported injured, the raid resulted in the arrests of 22 men and 3 women. All of the individuals were described as "self-styled" artists, poets, actors, and individuals who worked for the government by day and masqueraded as bohemians by night.
*we hold no rights to these images